Masbate City was rocked by a magnitude-5.2 earthquake on Tuesday morning, March 6, 2012.
Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology recorded the earthquake at 7:06 AM. The epicenter was traced just 3 kilometers north of Masbate City. It was tectonic in origin.
Five aftershocks have been felt since this morning and cracks are evident on the walls of the city buildings as well as on the streets.
It was felt at:
- Intensity VI - Masbate City
- Intensity IV - Irosin, Sorsogon; Cabid-an, Sorsogon City; Roxas City
- Intensity III - Sigma, Capiz; Catarman and Capul Island, Northern Samar; Almagro and Tagapul-an, Western Samar
- Intensity II - Iloilo City; Legaspi City
- Intensity I- Kalibo and Numancia, Aklan